Have you ever tried Emotional Freedom Technique, better known as EFT tapping?
This tool is great for shifting physical, emotional and mental pain, stress and overwhelm about any event or situation in your life. It is also a great tool to do with kids to assist them to shift their thoughts and feelings.
With the energy of lockdowns and COVID still very real, this is a great technique to use when you get that unpredictable or stressful news.
Where to begin? Watch this quick video or read the instructions below.
1. Identify the problem that you want to focus. It can be a stressful event, scarred thoughts, an emotional trigger or it can be a specific situation or issue which causes you to feel a certain emotion like anxiety or anger.
2. Consider the problem or situation. How do you feel about it right now? Rate the level of your anxiety or anger on a scale of 0 to 10, with zero being the lowest level and ten being the highest.
3. Create a shift statement. Your shift statement should acknowledge the problem you want to deal with. You can slightly change up your statement as you are tapping, as often new words and emotions arise when you start, just follow the theme and your intuition will guide you.
Shift statement examples:
“Even though I feel this anxiety, I deeply and completely love, respect and accept myself.”
“Even though I’m anxious about my COVID, I deeply and completely love, respect and accept myself.”
“Even though I’m feeling this stressed about my financial situation, I deeply and completely love, and accept myself.”
“Even though I panic when I think about ______, I deeply and completely love, respect and accept myself.”
“Even though I’m worried about how to approach my boss, I deeply and completely love, respect and accept myself.”
“Even though I’m eating too much sugar, I deeply and completely love, respect and accept myself.”
Now get ready to start EFT tapping!
4. With four fingers on one hand, begin tapping the Karate Chop point on your other hand (See image below).
5. The Karate Chop point is on the outer edge of the hand, little finger outer side.Repeat the shift statement three times aloud, while simultaneously tapping the Karate Chop point. Now take a few deep breaths.
6. Now, tap about 6 to 8 times each on the remaining eight points in the sequence described below. As you tap on each point, repeat a simple phrases, such as “my anxiety” or “my interview” or “my financial situation” to help you mentally and emotionally focus on the issue you want to release.
EFT Tapping Points
Now that you’ve completed the EFT sequence, focus on your problem, stress or situation once again.
- How intense is the anxiety now, in comparison to a few minutes ago?
- Give it a rating on between 0 to 10, 0 being none, 10 being high.
- Have you notice a shift yet?
- If your anxiety level is still higher than 2 or 3, you can do another round of tapping.
- Keep tapping through the sequence until the anxiety is gone.
You can change your shift statement slightly if you feel it will assist releasing the emotional stress more.
“Even though I have some remaining anxiety, I deeply and completely love, respect and accept myself.”
“Even though I’m still a little worried about finding a new job, I deeply and completely accept myself.”
Now that you’ve focused on acknowledging and releasing your immediate stressor, you can work on creating some positive feelings in its place.
After you’ve cleared the emotional energy, you can then turn your thoughts and vibrations to something more positive, powerful and energising. This is why EFT tapping is often more effective than “positive thinking”. You are shifting your body’s biochemistry and energy into a higher vibrational energy state.
Here are some example phrases to guide you:
- “I have faith and trust in my ability.”
- “I am joyful about making positive changes in my life.”
- “I grateful for all I have in my life”
- “I am safe, secure and loved.”
- ” I am financially abundant”
- “I love the person that I am.” “I am becoming a more relaxed and joyful person.”
You can use these positive affirmations or mantras with the same EFT Tapping points above.
Here are some tips to help you with your EFT tapping:
- You should use a firm and gentle pressure, as if you were checking an avocado for ripeness.
- You can use all four fingers, or just the first two (the index and middle fingers), especially for sensitive areas around your eyes.
- Tap with your fingertips, less with your fingernails.
- You can tap one side of the body or both at the same time.
- All meridian points are symmetrical on each side of the body.
Enjoy using this tool to feel more grounded, centred and release imbalances within your mind, body and soul.